Writing Assignments

Read and Reflect

After making an investment for a good camera it is quite easy to start your journey. Photography is a current thing needed for modern times. It is used for mostly everything such as businesses, food and modeling. It is helpful for a business to start a social media page with good photos of their products. You are also able to be your own boss and are able to have your own hours, so you probably won’t work a 40-hour shift. You also are able o travel with the job and could work from home. You could branch out to other fields such as, food or advertising.

$10,000 B&H Photography Shopping Spree

ITEMPRICEWHY?
Nixon D3500 DSLR camera with 18-55 mm Lens Deluxe Kit  $729.95I would want to have a good working camera for what I would want to do.
Sigma 105mm f/2.8 EX DG OS HSM Macro Lens for Nikon F  $569.00I want to get a micro lens because I want to be able to get good pictures of smaller things such as insects or plants.
Magnus TR-13 Travel Tripod with Dual-Action Ball Head  $69.95Wanting to be a landscape photographer, I would want to have a tripod just in case I see animals or something I want to shoot that is moving quickly.
Apple 27″ iMac with Retina 5K Display (Mid 2020)  $2,499.00I want a desktop computer to edit photos.
DJI Inspire 2 Standard Kit with Zenmuse X5S Gimbal & MFT 15mm/1.7 ASPH Lens    $5,299.00Having a drone would be helpful to get higher angles of taller things such as mountains.

Critique of Silver List Photographers

One photographer that caught my eye on the site was Daniel Rampulla. Rampulla does both portraits and landscape photos. The landscape photos were the ones that caught me because I am very interested in landscape photography. I also like that most of his photos are black and white which reminds me of Ansel Adams. The photo below was the first photo that I saw in the website:

Daniel Rampulla

The next photographer that caught my eye was Granville Carroll. Carroll looks to be a double expose photographer and portrait photographer. One photo of is a man who is all dark who seems to have a brain of a disco ball. I really like this photo because it could mean anything. I like his photos because it makes us really look at the photos and make out what they mean to the photographer, like what we have to do with artists.

Granville Carroll

Social Issue Poster Critique

As a Mexican American, it is hard to see people assume things about us or people in general. There are many stereotypes that are presented in things such as movie and TV shows that I personally have no idea what they are. It is sad to think that people still tend to degrade people of color just because they think they know how we live. But in reality, we are nothing like those characters that in gangs and kill people. My parents are big part in the way I see this issue. I can see the way they are looked at in a crowd or even in a high-quality restaurant. This past February, my parents and I decided to get out and went to Las Vegas for my mom’s birthday. We just went to eat and have a good time walking around enjoying our time there. When in Vegas my parents tend to go all out because they want some good food. We ate at restaurants a lot but this time I felt like we were the center of attention when we walked in, as if we were in the wrong place. But we decided to just ignore it and enjoy our meal. This isn’t even the worst incident that has occurred to my parents. I guess I understand why those people acted the way they did, maybe they just never interacted with other races?

Read and reflect: Why is photography so important?

Photography is important because it can be used for memories. It can be used to record your memories through pictures. You can save these pictures and look at them in 50 years and get those feelings back. Photography can also be a hobby for when you get older or just now. You can learn something new about it that you never knew before. 

It’s also a good opportunity to meet new people. Say you really like photography you can bond with this person about it and have something to talk about. It can also give you a opportunity to travel more since it is part of your job. You can also affect the future by recording history with your photos. 

Wassily Kandinsky Critique

Wassily Kandinsky’s art has many different shapes and colors. It seems very random and seems to be thought of on the spot. I really like it because it could be thought out as anything. I feel like you can see anything in it. For example, if one person sees a cat another person can see something completely different like a goat. One artwork of is that I really like is the one called “White Point”. I like it because it is colorful and has many different interpretations of it.

White Point, 1923 Painting by Wassily Kandinsky (fineartamerica.com)

Sandy Skoglund Critique

Sandy Skoglund’s work is amazing! It was colorful and had repetition. She used color contrast to make the repetition really stand out. I like her work because it is really creative. I never really seen anything like this, so I think it is cool. My favorite image of hers would be “Revenge of the Goldfish”.

Sandy Skoglund - 71 Artworks, Bio & Shows on Artsy

Your Favorite Photo from 100 Most Influential List

The picture I chose is called “grief” by Dmitri Baltermants. While looking at the website, this picture caught my eye. It shows strong emotion which is very rare to find. The people’s faces are captured well and you can see how much they are grieving. This affected me because it seems so sad and heartbreaking.

This picture also can tell a story, which is also interesting. I think people who see it can tell what was going on, or at least parts of it. People could also make their own story based on the picture. For me the picture looks to be a war zone. I think the people died by war or maybe something government related. One can also question things. For example, why are the people feeling guilty about this?

Grief | 100 Photographs | The Most Influential Images of All Time

Review of 2 articles on Canon Lens Experience

Peter Tellone | B&H Explora (bhphotovideo.com)

While reading this article, I started to realize that landscape photography gives you the opportunity to pay more attention to the quality, compositions and organization of natural elements in the photograph. I was inspired to pay more attention to what I take pictures of and how to show them. I would want to try new lens and play around with it to see what I like best personally.

Randy Kerr | B&H Explora (bhphotovideo.com)

One thing I did not know about travel photography is that they can be anything such as still life, action photography, portrait or landscape. I was inspired to see how Kerr familiarizes himself with the place where he is going to photograph. I think this is very helpful because the lighting or weather can be totally different than where you are used to.

Photography job hunting

One job I found that I would be interested in is a photographer in a museum in Los Angeles. The requirements are having a high school diploma, over 18 years old, basic experience in photography (not required) and a flexible schedule. It is a full-time job with a contract for about 5-6 months.

Photographer – Los Angeles, CA – Indeed.com

Social media trends 2021

1. Reels- they are videos and this could show off my photography or brand 
  1. Make new friends- I think this is useful because you can use your contacts and grow 
  1. Stories- you can document your experience and journey 
  1. Screen to screen time- because of recent events, we are unable to hold face to face meetings so it would be best to replace them with zoom or FaceTime  
  1. e-commerce- this will allow you to grow and become bigger 
  1. Knowledge is power- paying attention to your view on things like reels will allow you to do more. If your views are low come up with a new idea to make it more interesting.  
  1. Media- media can be used to spread your work and also connect to your audience  
  1. Screen time- you don’t want to have a very long video because your viewers can get bored and skip it.  

Broad Museum Collection: Image Critique

I found this image to capture my attention because there seems to be a lot that is going on. One thing is that it tells a story that can be anything. Two, the guy in the top right corner reminds me of the Joker, which is my favorite villain. Third, the red string gives it a little color and the writing on it is very random. Fourth, it seems to be associated with different crimes. And finally =, it looks like a collage of many random things that can come together and create a story.

Jump start your photography

1. Go to the movies
  2. Try to learn new lighting techniques
  3. Look at popular photoblogs and get inspired
  4. Go through your CD covers
  5. Listen to your favorite music
  6. Take on a photo-a-day project
  7. Shoot a sporting event
  8. See an art show
  9. Shoot your family
  10. Shoot in the dark